Communicology 385: Culture and Communication
Permanent URI for this community
This course is designed to introduce you to theories and research on intercultural communication and cultural influences on communication, with a focus on applications relevant to your everyday lives. In the course, you will be introduced to prominent theories and areas of research in the area of culture and communication, including (social) identity, perception, verbal and nonverbal communication, acculturation, culture shock, prejudice, stereotyping, relational development, and globalization. The focus of the course will be on the implications of this theory and research for your own experiences.
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Understand what culture is and its influence on verbal and nonverbal communication behavior;
- Understand how culture shapes perception, worldviews, and attitudes;
- Identify factors that could influence communication between individuals from different cultures;
- Be familiar with the processes of culture shock and acculturation;
- Understand how stereotypes, prejudice, and identity are related to culture.