Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences 2021
Welcome to the proceedings of the 54th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences.
Despite a difficult year caused by the coronavirus pandemic, the 710 papers published in this year’s proceedings demonstrate again the vitality of HICSS as a scientific venue where ideas meet and science speaks. Along with the topic introductions by the leaders of the 11 tracks and their 166 minitracks, as in previous editions, the collective wisdom exhibits a truly comprehensive and forward-looking set of research topics. And most importantly, HICSS continues its tradition of setting research trends in the Information Systems community.
HICSS-54 features an invited track, Location Analytics which has emerged as an important set of concepts, tools and techniques with increasingly critical applications in the private, public and non-profit sectors. The entire geospatial industry has grown to be a worldwide market of $430 billion, fueled by advances in GIS spatial technology and a growing demand by organizations for use of location analytics across a spectrum of industries.
A word cloud of the titles of the 1,449 papers submitted for this year suggests some of the most popular topics addressed by the researchers for 2020:
- The digital economy - its markets and future trends, the values and risks of its online communication platforms, its implications for collaboration communities and teamwork, and the likes.
- Software technology and systems development methodologies -- IoT, gaming, hybrid methods, visual technologies, augmented reality, etc.
- The cybersecurity - with issues related to trust, threats and mitigation.
- A variety of research methods and their effectiveness in dealing with I.T. problems and issues.
Inquisitive readers will find in this 7,000-page-rich proceedings an invaluable resource for their research. If one conservatively assumes that a refereed paper would require a six-person-month effort, the 2021 HICSS proceedings is the result of over 350 person-years of time invested by researchers worldwide.
Every member of HICSS O’hana (family) has contributed to the growth of HICSS. The growing community is comprised of many researchers holding senior editorial positions in leading research journals in the field such as MISQ, MISQE, JMIS, JAIS, ACM Journals, Decision Sciences, GDNSS, and with industry and government affiliations such as IBM, ESRI, Google, Microsoft, Accenture, US Department of Energy, Department of Defense, US Air Force Research Laboratory, Naval Information Warfare Center, Pacific. Despite a difficult year, this year's conference is partially sponsored by NSA.
As you are browsing this massive HICSS54 proceedings, please keep exploring earlier editions of the conference. The number of downloads from our last four proceedings distributed through ScholarSpace at the University of Hawaii library and AIS eLibrary have grown over 1.7 million.
I would like to acknowledge the co-creation of HICSS-54 Proceedings by the HICSS community.
- 1,997 authors of 710 research papers addressing a broad-ranging set of topics (47% acceptance rate);
- 2,330 reviewers;
- 461 Minitrack Chairs;
- 20 Track Chairs; and
- Dedicated staff at the Information Technology Department of the Shidler College of Business, University of Hawaii at Manoa.
We are looking forward to continue working with the community of researchers to advance the mission of HICSS – that is to provide a venue where ideas meet and science speaks.
Tung Bui, Conference Chair Click here to download front matter and preface