Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:

Birds of Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park

File SizeFormat 
104.pdf403.99 kBAdobe PDFView/Open

Item Summary

Title: Birds of Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park
Authors: Morin, Marie P.
LC Subject Headings: Birds -- Hawaii -- Hawaii Island.
Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park (Hawaii)
Bird surveys -- Hawaii -- Hawaii Island.
Issue Date: May 1996
Publisher: Cooperative National Park Resources Studies Unit, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Botany
Citation: Morin MP. 1996. Birds of Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park. Honolulu (HI): Cooperative National Park Resources Studies Unit, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Botany. PCSU Technical Report, 104.
Series/Report no.: Technical Report
Abstract: Twenty-five bird species were detected at fifty-one count stations located along seven transects in Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park. Each station was counted once during fall-winter (October and November 1992) and once again during spring-summer (April and May 1993). Significantly more species per station were detected during the spring counts, but there was no difference in the mean numbers of birds detected per station when the two count periods were compared. Nine of the bird species (36%) were indigenous waterbirds or shorebirds and the other 16 species (64%) were introduced, non-native species. Two of the three indigenous waterbirds are also endemic and endangered. As expected, the bird checklist for Kaloko-Honokohau contains many more species than those detected during the two short-term censuses. The relatively high species diversity can be attributed to the large amount of wetland (primarily brackish water fishponds with associated marshy areas and anchialine pools) and sandy shoreline available within the park. Like other lowland sites, the high percent of non-native bird species is attributable to centuries of direct or indirect human impact.
Description: Reports were scanned in black and white at a resolution of 600 dots per inch and were converted to text using Adobe Paper Capture Plug-in.
Sponsor: National Park Service Cooperative Agreement CA 8002 2 9004
Appears in Collections:The PCSU and HPI-CESU Technical Reports 1974 - current

Please contact if you need this content in an alternative format.

Items in ScholarSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.