Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/10125/9200

Optimal control for land use decisions in Hawaii : model formulation and potential applicability

File Description SizeFormat 
uhm_phd_8210587_uh.pdfVersion for UH users3.98 MBAdobe PDFView/Open
uhm_phd_8210587_r.pdfVersion for non-UH users. Copying/Printing is not permitted4.02 MBAdobe PDFView/Open

Item Summary

Title: Optimal control for land use decisions in Hawaii : model formulation and potential applicability
Authors: Okimoto, Glenn Michiaki
Keywords: Land use -- Hawaii
Decision making -- Mathematical models
Issue Date: 1981
Abstract: The potential applicability of systems control theory to analyze the empirical performance of agricultural land allocation among competing uses in Hawaii has been undertaken as part of this dissertation, The pattern and trends of land use redistricting were statistically analyzed using dummy variable techniques to account for periodic redistricting effects of five-year boundary reviews during the early stages of the State Land Use Control Program. This discrete feedback function of five-year boundary reviews was replaced by continuous annual feedbacks which are currently in effect after the major discrepancies in initial boundary designations for the land use districts (Urban, Agriculture, and Conservation) were corrected. The study showed that the loss of Agricultural District Lands are overstated when the early redistricting adjustments are not correctly taken into account. The reported annual average rate of loss of Agricultural District Lands of 151,819 acres /year since the implementation of the State Land Use Law in 1962 to the present, actually amounts to a net 39,584 acres/year or about one-fourth of the reported level. The larger portion (112,235 acres/year) can be accounted for in increased Conservation District Lands which represent a store for future use. Most (94 percent) of the agricultural acreage actually lost went into the Urban District which gained 37,044 acres/year. The remaining 6 percent or 2,540 acres/year were simply redesignated into a new Rural District, a transitional type district, established in the early phases of the program. The relative marginal rates of annual losses are even smaller and decreasing over time. Although the loss of Agricultural District Lands may be grossly exaggerated by these numbers, it is important not to underestimate the significance of agricultural land losses. A major portion (over 70 percent) of the converted lands were high quality agricultural lands which are scarce in the Islands. Also, agricultural import dependency has risen to a very high level and is increasing in the State in spite of counteracting State policies toward agricultural self-sufficiency.
Description: Typescript.
Thesis (Ph. D.)--University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1981.
Bibliography: leaves 136-146.
Photocopy.
Microfiche.
show 1 moreix, 146 leaves, bound ill. 29 cm
show less
URI/DOI: http://hdl.handle.net/10125/9200
Rights: All UHM dissertations and theses are protected by copyright. They may be viewed from this source for any purpose, but reproduction or distribution in any format is prohibited without written permission from the copyright owner.
Appears in Collections:Ph.D. - Agricultural and Resource Economics



Items in ScholarSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.