Enterprise System Integration: Issues and Answers Minitrack
ERP applications are integrated suites that are becoming mature technologies in many organizations. Many firms have turned to the adoption of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) solutions, and then to Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) and Business Process Management Systems, to address the challenges faced when they want to integrate systems. The major ERP vendors are currently attacking these issues, frequently with proprietary solutions. A more active involvement by the academic research community should allow for the establishment of a more open and standardized SOA/Cloud environment. Academics should have a role leading the use of these technologies.
Topics or research questions that are of particular interest include the following:
- ERP in the Cloud
- ERP and the Internet of Services
- What is the role of Business Process Management/Modeling when deploying an Integrated Enterprise System? What’s different in an era of Cloud and mature BPMS?
- How does ERP and the migration towards Cloud and SOA evolve or change the university or college curriculum?
- What are the costs and benefits of ERP/Cloud/SOA installations? Have expectations been realized? How do we know?
- What are the true costs of implementing an integrated enterprise solution and how are these costs accounting for in organizations? How does that change in a Cloud model?
- How are Integrated Enterprise Systems (ES) being adopted by organizations? What changes do organizations go through to get and deploy an ES? What resulting changes occur after the ES is implemented? Anticipated or not? Does this hold for Cloud-based ES?
- What are the common challenges and opportunities associated with integrating solutions within an enterprise? Across enterprises? How is integration changed when some systems reside on the Cloud?
- How do you manage the software development process in an ERP implementation in a Cloud era? How can the Project management and change management research be applied here?
- What is the real value of hands-on experience with ERP/SOA/Cloud in college curricula?
- How are ERP systems being extended beyond the internal business processes? What types of system-to-system interfaces are being used?
- What SOA and Cloud standards need to be in place for future expansion of ERP systems?
- What are some of the issues surrounding ERP usage, implementation, etc. when companies merge or use different ERP systems to meet different needs of the same but diverse organization?
- What are the Benefits, Barriers, Costs of SOA/Cloud technology?
- What factors influence SOA/Cloud adoption and use?
- What are the implementation methodologies and the best practices for integrating business systems, both in-house and in the Cloud?
- ERP and/or SOA/Cloud case studies
- How can we measure ERP and SOA/Cloud performance?
- What are the emerging business models or what comes after SOA?
- What are the organizational, political, and cultural barriers related with ERP/SOA/Cloud Computing adoption?
- How do we standardize Service-Level Agreements for enterprise systems in the Cloud?
Marinos Themistocleous (Primary Contact)
University of Piraeus, Greece and University of Coimbra, Portugal
California State University, Chico
Paulo Rupino da Cunha
University of Coimbra, Portugal