Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Interview with Sam Uyehara
|Title:||Interview with Sam Uyehara|
Hotels and Restaurants
Land and Ownership
|Series/Report no.:||Waikiki, 1910 - 1985: Oral Histories|
|Description:||The proprietor of Smile Cafe talks about his childhood and schooling in Pepeekeo and Papaikou on the Big Island; father's kompang (group sugar cultivation) contract; chores and summer work; Maukaloa home and neighbors; plantation baseball; Pepeekeo Plantation carpentry work; move to Honolulu; construction work; Makanoe Lane home leased from Magoon; and surrounding neighborhood. He also discusses the opening of Smile Cafe on former Aloha Park land; lease and later purchase of land; remodeling; employees and customers; menu and suppliers; post-Prohibition bar; Quarterback Club; December 7, 1941; wartime customer boom of defense workers and soldiers; Japanese and Okinawan internees; post-war Ford Island cafeteria; 1947 government condemnation of land; move to Kapiolani Boulevard; AJA (Americans of Japanese Ancestry) baseball league; and cafe closing and retirement in 1962.|
sugar plantation worker, carpenter, construction worker, restaurant owner; Okinawan; male
Interview conducted in English.
|Pages/Duration:||3 hr, 7 min|
|Appears in Collections:||Waikiki, 1910–1985: Oral Histories|
Items in ScholarSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.